We are pleased to announce that The Edward Harris House was recently awarded the prestigious ILoveInns, and American Historic Inns "2009 Top 10 Most Romantic Inns" of North America, as well as the Bnbfinder.com award of Five Star Distinction.
Living Green at The Edward Harris House
What is a carbon footprint? - we don't exactly know - but what we do know is that we are celebrating our 10th year in business by going "Green and Natural." We are making better choices, for ourselves, for our guests and ultimately our planet. So here is what we are doing!
- All linens are 100% cotton, and only non-toxic and natural cleaners are used throughout the Inn.
- We are reducing our water needs by asking our guests to re-use their towels and bed linens during their stay.
- We encourage our guests and housekeeping to recycle all cans, bottles and newspapers; and turn off lights, TV's, air conditioners and fans when not in use.
- By changing to organic and natural foods, we are making healthier choices that make big differences for our guests and to our local farmers.
- Saving energy by switching all bulbs from the standard incandescent to the Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) bulbs. Utilizing CFLs will generate approximately 75% less energy than a standard bulb.
- These practices will conserve our resources and save money in the long run - which is good for everyone.
"The Edward Harris House just crept up a notch in my book...which I didn't think
was possible. I fell in love with the inn long before I started caring as much about
the environment, but knowing they care too just makes me love the inn even more."
- The Green Grandma, Living Green at the Edward Harris House
River Cottage Rental
The Cottage is now open and available!
Our beautifully restored vintage 1940's "Fireman's Cottage" is nestled on the banks of the Genesee River in Scottsville, NY. A small, quiet hamlet of a dozen or so original cottages known as Mile Wood.
Breakfast and Catered Dinners
Start your day with a table d'hote 'home cooked' breakfast served daily in our formal dining room. To arrange a catered dinner, please contact us prior to arrival at the Inn.
A favorite room for gatherings, this beautiful, spacious living room is the perfect setting for a sunny daylight, or romantic evening candlelit affair. Conducive to intimate gatherings, this room has the original antique periwinkle blue walls and china white wainscot and wall moldings. Curl up with fluffy pillows on our mirror bowed bay windows. An elegant, yet comfortable setting to listen to music, play the piano or read a good book in front of the fire.
The perfect ending to any day or evening is enjoying the warmth of a fire in the Inn's library. With a 'Gentlemen's Club' approach to design - this well appointed room provides our guests with overstuffed leather chairs and sofas, a carved pillar mantle and fireplace, and floor to ceiling bookcases full of interesting reading - providing guests with a cozy getaway. Bring your laptop and sit beside a sunny bay window, catching up on work or email at a lovely English writing desk using the Inn's complimentary wireless internet service.
The kitchen is the heart of every home, and ours is no different! This spacious kitchen has floor to ceiling cherry cupboards, a large vintage tile center island and floor. Our Culinary team building activities and group culinary classes are fun events that will bring your staff and clients together in a new way.
Havana and Fidel
Now full grown, Fidel and Havana have joined the Edward Harris House family and are anxious to meet you all! Fidel is a Havanese and Havana is a Maltese, both were chosen for their temperament as friendly Inn dogs and are hypo-allergenic breeds. The dogs are never allowed in guest rooms.